Monday 14 January 2019

Working Until You Drop In America - Is That The Best Way To Live? by Chuks UC Ukaoma

"I am going out with Flower" I watched as she walked out with quite a lot of effort, trying to balance Flower in the basket, the tiara on her head and the long flowing costume. Joanne ventured out only when her older sister was outside. It was like she held on to a hope in her heart that one day a miracle would occur and Samantha would play with her. I refused to admit it, but I did too. I kept watching her from the kitchen window as I did the dishes. Suddenly I saw her get up and walk towards Samantha. What had happened? I craned my neck but could not quite see what was happening. Something warned me and I made a dash for the front door. What I saw next is what my nightmares now are made of.

Flower was across the street and Joanne was walking towards him. "Joanne... NO!" I shouted, but she did not hear. I ran towards her but she had stepped on the road. The next thing I heard was the screeching of the brakes, a thud and my own screams. She died a few days later due to multiple organ failure, her frail little body refusing to breathe any more amidst the plethora of tubes and pipes criss crossing across her body. I had tried to talk to her. The doctor's assured me she could feel our presence inside the room. I wanted her to live, I willed her to live but she did not.

My last hope for redemption had just passed away. I could not understand how it could've happened. How my timid little girl had found the courage to cross the street when she had never found the courage to even venture out near the curb? Kathy amidst sobs told her mother what had happened. Flower had run away and Joanne was coming in to get me. But Samantha called out to her and had challenged her to get the kitten on her own. When she refused, Samantha called her a coward and said that if Joanne showed her she was brave enough to do cross the street and get the kitty, she would allow her to play with them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood in Stool - Why You Shouldn't Fear it!

Using a colon cleanser can often eliminate the bacteria in your colon and can cause problems. No dangerous side effects compared with laxat...